Monday, February 7, 2011

Yesterday I complained but today I will not!

Yesterday I complained about corn but my blog friend, Ted, had a great comment that made me think about the things the Belgians do like. So what if the Belgians don't know much about corn?


And what do they know well? BREAD


They have great bread, I mean REALLY REALLY great bread from real bakeries. Remember those? I can't even think of a bakery anywhere near my house in Indiana. There is a chain of bagel stores, fresh bread at the grocery store and treats at Starbucks but there aren't many true bakeries that bake their own bread and sell out of the popular stuff by 3pm. Going to the bakery is fun for me. The one located close to my house has a very mysterious woman who works behind the counter. She has a tatoo on her forearm that I just can't decipher and barely says anything to me but she always has a smile on her face. I buy a regular loaf of white bread on Tuesday mornings. When she sees me park my car, she starts slicing the loaf and putting it into the bag! The busy bakery up the road has multiple employees. If you go early enough in the morning, you can see the bakers still slaving away and making their famous pie shaped coffee cakes. The bakery on the way to school has the most spectacular eclairs that make your mouth water before you even turn off the car engine. And what do you do late at night when you realize your out of bread and all the stores are closed? Well you just go to the bread vending machine of course!!!


Those Belgians really know their bread. If that machine also dispensed gallons of milk and bags of Doritos, my life would be complete!

2 comments:

  1. Do you know I've there seen the bread vending machine?
    I can't even get my head around the idea that they had something convenient. I call Belgium and France "the inconvenient truth". I know I'm mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did get the bakery thing in Belgium perfect. Those bread vending machines are totally cool. And the bakery is just as you described. I love going there and we LOVE your bread! You'll miss that in the USA. It is convenient to shop any day of the week but you will get bread sliced and baked two or three days earlier and filled with preservatives. When you hear the saying, "better than sliced bread", they don't mean the stuff stacked on our shelves in America. We all loved your bakery blog.

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...