Friday, February 20, 2009

..............

The post below was written from my car using free wireless. If you read the contents during the hours of midnight and 8:00am Belgium time, I apologize. It was a mess. I have fixed the fractured sentences and dangling participles and it is now much easier to read.

I was out at midnight trying to pick up Maria. She went to see the play Othello with some friends. It was loosely described as a school assignment but there was sushi involved which means there was quite a bit of fun experienced also. My GPS is broken, caput, dead and I was using Google Maps to get myself from point A to point B. I can honestly say I am not that bad when it comes to finding my way around in all of Indiana, Illinois, Missouri or Tennessee. I have lived in these places without a GPS and never ever got as lost as I have since my GPS broke. None of the streets are in any sort of a grid-like pattern. If you think you are going in the wrong direction and you take a left and another left to go back where you were, you will end up far far away from the original point. And Google Maps is really not that good of a guide. Last night I was instructed to veer right for .35 kilometers. This was a key instruction which would have led me right to where I needed to go. The "veer" was really a hard right onto an unnamed street looking more like the entrance to a factory instead of the path to my freedom.

I eventually picked up Maria. I tried to share my plight with her but she was too busy explaining the racism and sexism of Othello. She also told me that sushi with friends tastes better than sushi with your parents. When I was 17 my friends and I ate at Dairy Queen. It also tasted better with my friends than my family......

6 comments:

  1. Hehe, when I was 17, the favorite dinner place for my friends and I was a hole-in-the-wall Mongolian Barbecue place. How did you get free wifi in your car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the free wifi just by accident. I "sponged" off of someone without a secure network. It's a good thing I did, otherwise I would have been really lost. Thankfully, Maria's friend has wonderful parents who brought her halfway to meet me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ronna says that at 17 she was dining on French fries and a coke at Woolworth's at Greenwood Mall when it was still an open air mall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie .... I am enjoying your blog ... love the pottery ... trust dear Maria is feeling better every day ...
    Best,
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie, Just talked to Bob and he told me about Maria's accident. You guys are going to either keep better touch with your old friends or you are just going to have to move back home. we are praying for her and the rest of the family. Send us an email and let us know how things are going and lets keep in better touch.

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...