Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Stranded 4

Being stranded in the US is not a terrible thing. Because of the volcano in Iceland we were forced to delay our flight for 10 extra days! I had friends who were stranded in much worse places because of the volcanic ash spreading itself over Europe. Jordan, Africa, Spain and Canada were just a few of the locations where my friends spent a little extra time. We had an extra week to visit family and friends plus get things done in a relaxed way. Bob remulched (is that a word?) the landscaping and updated the sprinkler system at our Indiana house. I got a haircut twice and the kids even took ballet lessons. I realized how convenient it was to bank, shop, drive, watch TV and order food in my own language. Unfortunately I also realized how much junk mail we get delivered to our American home everyday. In just 5 of the mail delivery days that I was home, we collectively received 8 credit card applications, 13 adds to spend our money and 5 offers to give us a better quote on our home or car insurance. And since we have a phone, we got daily calls from solicitors. I don't miss getting those in Belgium! When I get the solicitor calls in Belgium, I just speak English and they hang up. While home, I just started speaking Flemish and they hung up too! I have stumbled onto something clever.

We will return to the US in July. Maybe we will get stranded again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...