Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Rant and Rave Tuesday #1

Since this is my blog and I can write whatever I want, I have decided that Tuesdays will be the day I get to complain, rant, rave, get on my soapbox, be bossy or just whine.  So my first Rant and Rave Tuesday installment is about the restaurant Olive Garden.

I have noticed commercials on tv for Olive Garden advertising two meals for $12.95, one meal for today and one meal for tomorrow.  Here it is:
I just think this is ridiculous.  I love to go out to eat but paying to eat my next meal out of Styrofoam just sound gross.  For a family of four, those two meals for today and tomorrow, not including drinks or tip, would be $51.80. (With drinks and tip would probably be $70.) 

Today I went to Kroger just to see what I would spend if I were going to make 2 Italian style meals.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Meal 1- Chicken Alfredo, salad, soup and ice cream
Chicken 3lb. - 5.31, Ragu Alfredo sauce 2 jars - 3.53, pasta - 1.38, salad with dressing, avocado and lettuce - $4, veggie soup for 2 days $2.25, ice cream $2.49 = $18.96
Meal 2 - Spaghetti with meatballs, salad, soup and garlic bread
Beef for meatballs - $2.79, pasta - $1.38, sauce - $1.77, salad $4, soup $2.25, bread - $1.78 = $13.97

That brings both meals to a total of $32.93.  I will even give another $5 for spices, an onion, butter, etc, just in case, bringing the grand total to $37.93.  I believe my 2nd meal includes things that Olive Garden does not provide like soup and salad.

I really wouldn't make pasta two nights in a row for my family so don't thing these two meals are common at my house.  The kids like variety and Bob really doesn't like pasta that much.  But I am confident we could create 2 excellent non-Olive Garden meals for $37.93 easily.

Bottom line:  I would rather cook 2 of my own meals for half the price than go to Olive Garden and overpay.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm really behind in my blog reading and saw this post today, and said to myself....Olive Garden? Kroger? Is she back in the US? So it looks like you are. Welcome back! Hope you all are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...