Sunday, October 10, 2010

Beersel Castle

Today we went to Beersel Castle in Beersel, Belgium. It is just 30 minutes from our house EXCEPT that the Brussels Marathon was happening and our short drive turned into a very long one. You can see how majestic the castle is in the picture above. We had to cross a drawbridge to get into the inner portion and saw the interior of this palace from the 13th century. It was originally used as a fortress to guard Brussels from attacks by Flanders. We even saw where they would pour hot oil on the intruders.
We also ate lunch at a famous restaurant and brewery in Beersel. They produce beer under the label of Beersel. It was really good. Our lunch was tasty and very Flemish/European. The menu was not in English so we did our best to figure things out.I thought I ordered stew cooked in cherry beer, but instead I got some kind of bird with a cherry sauce. I asked if it was chicken and the lady said, "No but like chicken". Scary! After a few questions we found out I was eating Guinea Hen. It tasted good but I wouldn't order it again!
This is what a real guinea hen looks like. See those legs? One of them was hanging off the side of my plate.
Primo ordered a hamburger just to be safe. This is what he got!!! It mustn't have been too bad because he ate every bite.
We had a very nice day with great weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...