Thursday, February 2, 2012

Orval update

The twins are back from their educational Abbey experience.  It was one of those activities that they didn't stop talking about until long after we got home.  I guess I have it pretty good because I not only hear one kid's story but 2!  They took a 2 hour hike through lightly fallen snow and woods to reach the town of Bouillon.  They lit huge torches and toured an old castle in the dark.  Once they finally arrived at the Orval Abbey they cooked their own dinner and slept on the floor in sleeping bags.  They got up at 4am to hear the Monks chant and make breakfast.  They saw how the monks lived and worked and watched them make cheese and beer.  Their activities were numerous and they learned more than I could have imagined in two short days.  I tried to remember what I did when I was 14...It wasn't anything like this!
They also got to purchase some of the items which have made the monks famous.  My 14 year old daughters bought a 6 pack, a beer glass and a big hunk of cheese.  When they brought the souvenirs on the bus the driver casually said, "Don't drink the beer on the bus."  Duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...