Sunday, February 15, 2015

Reading and a funny story


I was wondering something the other day while I was shopping with Maria in Scottsdale. We ran across a deeply discounted clearance table while at Barnes and Noble. Everything on the table was $2!!!!! What a bargain! I had to limit my purchases because I couldn't fit much into my suitcase. 
So here is what I was wondering...Writing a book is an arduous task. Many authors devote years to one book. How would they feel knowing their hard work has been reduced to a value of just $2?  It's kind of sad. The Counting to Christmas book was adorable and the Hersey Syrup cookbook had great photos but I didn't have a need for either of those. Of course many of the books on the $2 table were just rediculous. If you zoom in you can see the Kardashian sisters actually wrote a novel. I'm sure there was a ghost writer involved in this project. I read a little of it and it wasn't even worth $2!
Luckily I found an excellent book on that table. It was a mystery about a very sinister minister who steals money (and many of the wives) from his congregation. Eventually he is killed which leads to many plot twists. I was enthralled and read the entire book on my plane ride home to Indy. When I finished the book we were almost ready to land in Indianapolis. The man next to me commented that I was a very quick reader. I told him the book was so good I couldn't stop. He noted that he was familiar with the author.  I then offered to give him the book. He was happy to take it and promised he would give it to someone else when he was finished. He too was reading a book and I asked him what he was reading. He told me he was reading a book about searching for your soul. He explained that he is a minister and he's going to make a sermon series out of his book.  Now if you haven't caught on yet, remember the book I had just given this man was about a sinister Minister. I had just given a book to a minister about a minister! What are the odds of that happening?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...