Monday, November 3, 2008

VOTE!!!

Bob and I had the opportunity to vote in person during early voting last Thursday. Of course we wouldn't be in the country on election day so this was the only way, aside from absentee mail in voting, for us to participate. We waited in line for 30 minutes outside the county courthouse and then 60 minutes more as we entered the basement voting area. As we waited, we talked on the phone, talked to other people and played scratch off lottery tickets to pass the time.

For me, this election has nothing to do with the candidates. I don't even live here. Yes, I know it effects me but It had more to do with the voting process in general. By casting my vote in the 2008 presidential election, I am giving more of a vote for the USA itself. I voted YES to democracy, YES to freedom of speech and YES to patriotism. Our country, though young as it is, has a darn good system. A track record of over 225 years of democracy and a 2 party system has proven itself over time. By living in another country I can see the USA for what it is; a country established with the forethought and guidance of people like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Their political footprint paved the way for us to fulfill dream after dream. I have never believed that one man, our president, ruled our country. We the people are what have made our country great. We are also the same folks who have confused success with excess. We are the country where everything is bigger and better. I voted YES to bigger and better, YES to fulfilling dream after dream and YES to our political footprint.

Basically, the candidate didn't matter. I voted YES to the USA. Don't forget to vote tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, only 90 minutes? Lines in Atlanta were 4-6 hours. I'll be voting tommorrow, hopefully without too long of a wait. Glad you were able to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted at the courthouse in Franklin on Saturday and I was in line for 3hrs...3 very long hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK - the one advantage to living in a very small town of 5000 people. We waited in line for about 8 minutes and knew everyone there so chatted away until our turn to vote. And that includes a bigger voter turnout than usual!

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...