Monday, February 1, 2010

Food

I really like living in Europe. This land we live in is so full of history and culture. We are never bored. The kids go on fabulous school trips to other countries and the history they read about in school is right in front of their eyes. Bob and I are going to Switzerland this weekend and Maria is planning a trip to Spain in June.
But this post is about what we eat and how we have adjusted to the culture change through our food. I quickly figured out where to buy what I needed. I still miss so many things. If I search hard enough, I can find a few of our favorites. There is a gas station not far from Brussels that sells Lucky Charms and Fruit Rollups. Unfortunately, the cereal is a whopping 10 Euros per box!!! That translates to the equivalent of $14 in the US!!! There is also a British store that sells more English friendly items. The best part about that store is that the things they sell have the nutritional information and directions written in English. It is really a shame that I don't have access to the military shopping facilities. The people who have that luxury can buy everything our friends in the US buy. I really need to make friends with someone who will take me to the "Base" to shop!
Here is a list of the things I wish I could regularly find at my local grocery:
Bisquick
Captain Crunch Cereal
Jimmy Dean's Breakfast Sausage
Stove Top Stuffing
Hersey Kisses (I know we live in the land of chocolate, but nothing beats one of those candies.)
Egg Nog
Good Seasons Salad Dressing
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Marshmallow Peeps (It isn't Easter without them and if you send me a little package in the mail, I will love you forever.)
Wonder Bread (Yes the bread is plentiful and fresh here, but a PBJ on sliced bread is a treat in every lunch box.)
Campbell's Cream of chicken, mushroom or celery soup

We have learned to make our own favorites. A friend of mine made these cupcakes. Don't they look just like Hostess Cupcakes? She is very clever in the kitchen!

Bob makes his own BBQ sauce. He took the label off the ketchup bottle and Jennifer made him a label fitting for his spicy creation.On Saturday we found these chips in the Netherlands. They were really Cool Ranch Doritos but packaged in Europe to read Cool American Chips! We also went to Burger King on the way home from The Hague. It was a treat because we don't have Burger King in Belgium. (OK I have to be honest...we went to Burger King twice in one day!)These rice balls are a treat we have learned about through the lunch boxes of others. The girls are always coming home and telling me about the treats their friends bring for lunch or snack at school. Maria first told us about rice balls so I did a little research to make them myself. Her Japanese friend brings them to school using the leftover rice from dinner the night before mixed with a few goodies inside. We make them now too. Sometimes we just make the rice so we can have rice balls! The ones in the picture above have a little chicken and some Japanese flavorings inside. They were yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Julie - Yummy Cupcakes!! Since I am a lover of Peeps, I would be more than happy to send you a supply and save the Easter baskets! I am also sending you Girl Scout cookies, but need to know what kind you like. Can you email me your address? srerdley@aol.com

    Rachel Matthews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever Rachel is, what a sweetheart. I love those peeps, too but now I won't have to send you any. But when we get back from Arizona in March we will send a supply of those things you NEED - well maybe not the bread. Is that a lemon tree by Bob's bbq sauce? I think I would miss chocolate chips the most. Aunt Mary makes choc. chip cookies and keeps them in the freezer. You wouldn't believe how yummy they are when they are crispy frozen when you eat them!! By the way, it is in the 70's here. No wonder Aunt Ruth and Uncle Jim never moved back to Illinois!

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...