Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pam Cooking Spray

About two weeks ago we made waffles.  They stuck to the waffle maker and it was a mess.  One of the staples in my American kitchen was a can of Pam cooking spray.  Unfortunately Pam is not sold in my local grocery.  One time I found a tiny can of something like Pam and then it disappeared.  Another time, I was given a Pampered Chef oil/pump/spray thing.  It worked great for two years then it broke.  So without Pam our waffles were a failure.  I know of a place that sells some of the things American love, but it about 20 minutes away and completely overpriced.  It isn't even a store really.  It is a gas station that happens to stock American/British food! 
This is the gas station that stocks the good stuff.  See the flags in the window?

 I knew that in less than 4 months we would be back in the country where everything I could ever need or want is available at any hour of the day, but I just had to have some Pam cooking spray.  So I stopped at the gas station/overpriced store.  In a weak moment I also bought a box of Lucky Charms, a box of Stove Top Stuffing, Martha Stewart Living magazine and Good Housekeeping.
Here is what I spent to fill the void of cooking spray in my kitchen.
Pam - 5euros
Stove Top - 4euros
Lucky Charms - 12euros
MS magazine - 8euros
GH magazine - 7euros
That is a grand total of 36euros.  So much to pay to make us happy. With today's exchange rate, that would be $48.  Outrageous.  You don't even want to know what they charge for a package of Oreos.

3 comments:

  1. oh my! those prices are awful. But I would of bought the Oreos and skipped the Lucky Charms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you put some vegetable oil in your waffle batter? It is in the Bisquick recipe and I believe that is what keeps the waffles from sticking.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Rhonda I loved your Freezer bisquit recipe! Debbie you are right about the oil. We had some pancake mix that we wanted to use up. (It was brought over illegally from the States!) The Bisquick recipe is much better but we can't buy Bisquick here either! Joy of Cooking has a great waffle recipe but it requires buttermilk and whipped egg whites. This means I have to use my mixer which requires the use of a transformer. I have one but my waffle maker also needs a transformer. Oh the problems of cooking on US appliances in a Euro kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...