Saturday, October 10, 2015

Birthdays

Today is Bob's birthday but we celebrated yesterday. My parents were visiting so we ate cake in honor of Bob and the twins, who will turn 18 next week. Bob said this cake was the best he has ever had in his entire life. Up until yesterday, our wedding cake had that top honor and he has been dreaming about that cake for 28 years!! 
Both Bob's parents and mine were on hand to sing and eat cake. 


I've been making that cake for Bob for many years. It's just a Pillsberry box yellow cake mix. I think the icing is the key to the success of the cake. I always use the recipe below. My mom passed it onto me way back in 1989.  She got the recipe from her sister Ruth. (Hi Aunt Ruth!!)
Over the years I have changed the recipe a little. I don't melt the butter but I just use it at room temperature. I replaced the water with cream and I doubled the butter. I know. I know. All that fat could make this cake the last one you will ever eat but nobody eats the entire cake right?
 It only took 24 hours for us to finish off this cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...