Friday, June 27, 2008

One Year

One of my favorite movies is White Christmas. Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye are entertainers and old war buddies. Whenever Danny Kaye needs a favor from Bing, he always grabs his arm reminding Bing that he had saved Bing's life suffering greatly during the war. Bing always feels guilty and acquiesces to Danny's wishes.

Of course I am not Danny Kaye, but the time has come to quit using my near death experience as an excuse. I must move on. Yes, one year ago I was lying in a hospital bed with a brain hemorrhage and two strokes. I spent the summer learning to walk and getting well. But look at me now! I have no reason to complain. With the help of family, friends and prayer, I am now perfectly normal. The chances of this ever happening again are very slim. I have to take medicine which I don't like and I have double vision but other than that I am fine. This morning Maria woke up and said, "Mom, you made it through the year. You're fine. Live your life like you aren't sick." Wise words from a 16 year old and she was right. Not everyone has the chance to live again and I should embrace the gift I was given.

The memory of that time is not pleasant and when the movie in my mind plays back, I can hardly control my feelings. I don't want to forget what happened but I want to start making new memories that will last even longer than the ones from June 2007. My newest memory in my mind began today as the moving van was loaded and our belongings started their journey for Belgium. This happy adventure is just the beginning of a brand new memory.

2 comments:

  1. "Mom, you made it through the year. You're fine. Live your life like you aren't sick."

    That is very well-worded and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still cry over White Christmas and it's some of the most beautiful music ever!

    Go Julie go! As you embark on all the new memories to come, my heart is with you because you have inspired me with your perserverance and stamina!

    Thank God for our smart and talented daughters...I vow to listen and not just "hear" mine more each new day.

    Happy trails to you until we meet again.

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...