Friday, June 20, 2008

Things you don't need to take...

There are rules to moving. I now have the list of forbidden items which we cannot take with us. Most of the things they won't allow are common sense since our belongings will sit in a metal container, on a truck, then a boat, then a truck again for almost 5 weeks.

Aerosol cans are at the top of the list with propane running right behind. Add to that matches, paint, etc. These things seem obvious.

We were told medications and vitamins could cause our things to be held up at customs, so they are out too.

Candles will melt and not advised for packing. OK. I'm a teacher. Just think about all the Yankee Candles I have stored in a cabinet. At last count there 32! My mom took some of the unused ones and Good Will got a nice donation of the others. The rest came in handy when the electricity went out during the flood.

Food and dried flowers are also not allowed. Do you think it might have something to do with bugs?

Now I have made my own list of things not to bring to Belgium...

Clothes you haven't worn in at least 1 year. Throw it out!!!

The contents of the Junk Drawer. Once again, throw it out!!!

The odd computers and their parts that don't work, never worked or are outdated.

Sheets that don't fit on any bed we own. Why do I have these?

Tupperware I received as a gift when I got married...21 years ago!

Towels which never ever get used. These are the ones that are scratchy and frayed. They are used in extreme emergencies only. I don't think we need to take these with us.

Hand cream. You may think this sounds odd but remember, I am a teacher and teachers get lots of this stuff as gifts. There is absolutely no reason to take 50 bottles of hand cream, bath gel, bath beads, etc. If you are a parent and considering giving your child's teacher hand cream or a candle, please rethink your purchase. We already have enough of each to have our homes smelling Yankee Candle fresh and our hands creamy smooth for the rest of our lives. On the other hand, if your child's teacher is brand new, load her up with all that stuff. It is a right of passage as a first year teacher and she should be bombarded with teacher gifts of candles and hand cream.



I must get back to cleaning. My little helpers (see pictures at left) are so happy to be right by my side helping with any needed task. Ha Ha

1 comment:

  1. I'm very excited for you. August 1st seems so far away but I know it's not. I know you'll be speaking in Flemish before we know it.


    I think everyone should pretend they're moving every few years. That way you get to purge all those things you mentioned...that we all have.

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...