Saturday, January 17, 2009

Prince Leopold Home

I went to the Prince Leopold home yesterday to volunteer. It is an old folks home for people who need constant care but aren't confined to their rooms. They were mobile and happy to see us. I signed up with a group who drops by there once a month for just an hour or two to bring a little cheer. Yesterday was my first visit. We took fruit and cakes/cookies and served an afternoon snack. We talked to all the people, shared some juice and cake and went home. The people there are VERY well cared for and the old chateau was extremely clean. It is so close to where we live, halfway between school and home. Prince Leopold built it as his hunting mansion when the country of Belgium was very young. I can just picture him riding his horse from the big palace in Brussels (8 kilometers away) and going all the way out to the hunting grounds. Now there is a highway just a hop and skip away. It still has one of the many forests of Brussels right in the back yard. Many many horse stables and a hippodrome are also right next to it. When I get old I hope someone can find an old chateau, complete with horse stables, backing up to the forest for me to spend my golden years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...