Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another try at the post about the doctor

I really thought we might be able to get through 2 years of living in a foreign country without making a trip to the doctor! Ha!!!!! I talked about this with family and friends before. You all must have chuckled at me on the inside while you were nodding your head in agreement on the outside! No stitches, broken bones or episodes of strep throat for 2 whole years? What was I thinking?
Leah is the first to really get sick here. She had a fever for almost 2 days and went through an entire bottle of children's ibruprofin (not available in Belgium, by the way). She even missed school which is so unlike any of my kids. Last night I got the # for a reputable English speaking doctor and took Leah in this morning. We didn't have to wait at all which was nice. The doctor was very very young. He looked like he had just graduated from high school. Then he said he was training someone and asked if that doctor could join us too. The second doc looked even younger than the first. He could have been one of Maria's high school friends. I told him he looked very young and he just laughed. Leah got a very thorough exam and was found to have strep throat. I knew it. I paid the doctor directly, no receptionist and no paperwork. 24 euros, a perscription for penicillin and instructions to rest. Easy.
I have tipped my toes into the doctor pool and it wasn't so bad. Now the kids are welcome to get sick anytime they want!

2 comments:

  1. Glad it wasn't too much trouble to go to the doctor and I hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes despise these blog things too. I know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...