Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Tulips

I had many questions by email about the tulips at the top of the blog. Yes they are real and yes I took the picture. (I didn't borrow it from Goggle Images!) I bought them last week at the Sunday market for 5 euros. They stayed that beautiful for at least 5 days and then started to drop their petals. I have written about this before, but nothing is open on Sundays. If you really need something, you have to be creative. Here is an example...

Last Sunday I needed an avacado. Bob wanted to make sushi and we had all the ingredients except the avacado for the California rolls. I set out on a quest to find a ripe avacado on a Sunday at 1:00pm. I first stopped at our local convenience store that has odd hours and is open on Sunday. They have a lot of things, although expensive, but no ripe avacados. Then I went to two more stores just like ours in other locations, no luck again. Finally I happened upon the Sunday market in a nearby commune. My time was starting to run out by now and I knew they would close around 2:00. This market is huge with a chicken man, 2 flower stalls, numerous food and wine vendors, and 3 vegetable stands. All 3 vegetable vendors sold avacados but none of them were ripe. All the people told me "3 days" which means we would have to wait 3 days for the avacado to be ripe. Then I happened upon a woman selling Japanese food in little cartons. People were buying and eating her food along with tons of other selections form other cooks. She had a huge variety of stock in her stall with which she used to cook. Oddly enough, she had an avacado behind her counter. In a combination of English/Japanese and Flemish, she agreed to sell me her one, lonely ripe avacado for 2 euros. It was worth the high price because we ended up with great sushi and an even better story.

3 comments:

  1. The tulips are beautiful, and the avacado story is cute. We went to the Weiner and Flagey markets today and had a lot of fun discovering new fruits, vegetables, and meats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Biasi Family,
    The Robbins Family here.I am such a procrastinator I thought I would never find your blog so I never looked. At the Santa breakfast Angela Steele told me about it a little. I asked Maddie and she says oh yes mom Mrs. Biasi told us all about it. Being herself though never thought to mention it to her mom. I have read all about your adventures. Wow how very awesome the things your family has seen, done, and achieved! Maddie will be tested this year for the extended learning program and Libby for honors classes. They both got very good I-step scores. They are both enjoying Ice skating lessons and horseback riding.Maddie is also doing Math pentathlon and Libby is in the Indianapolis Childrens Choir this year. My son Brandon is still in Wales. He and his fiance were married in November. I was so sad I was unable to attend. Hopefully I will be able to travel there someday soon. Oh and I love your tulip picture. I received from my son and daughter-in-law a package of Welsh grown Daffodil bulbs. I am excited for spring to get here. Although, I am not sure they will look so different than the ones I got from Menards.
    Sorry to be a little long winded. We miss you and look forward to reading more about your life in Europe.
    The Robbins family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ronna says that the tulips are gorgeous. It sounds like you are having many wonderful adventures!

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...