Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saturday

Maria is off today to watch the last high school football game against SHAPE at the military base. She took actual American $ to buy Starbucks, Taco Bell and maybe even Burger King. If she has the opportunity, she might even be able to pick up a package of English muffins for me!

We have met some very kind and wonderful people here in Belgium. Our school environment is one that welcomes the newcomers, appreciates the seasoned dwellers and understands when yet another family moves away. I don't know what we would have done without Jill, Alle, Jenna, Stephan and Andy. They welcomed us and have made our lives so much easier with good advice, directions to the store that sells Cheerios and most of all, great friendship.

When I go back to the United States I will remember what it feels like to be lost and confused and hopefully be considerate of others in similar situations. Does the feeling of being a foreigner ever decrease? Truthfully, I hope it doesn't. I have learned to appreciate my homeland so much more now that I am away. But I have also learned to appreciate another country and its culture which is so different from my own.

With the holidays approaching I am sure we will see a side to celebrations which we didn't know existed. Our first real shock came when we realized the kids have school on Thanksgiving day. With the time difference, maybe we will be able to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade after school and football games during dinner.

Weekend note: No travels this weekend. We were too busy playing Wii!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you say Taco Bell???
    That will be the first place I go when I get back to the US.
    Speaking of lunch, we should meet soon.

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...