Thursday, January 20, 2011

What we eat and how we get it

Today I went to the grocery to pick up a few things. Our store in Overijse isn't the worst place to shop but it definitely has it's flaws. The picture below shows it in all its uncrowded glory. Believe me it is never empty unless it is closed. And speaking of closing, they shut down every day at 8 and open again at 8 in the morning and they are closed on Sunday along with every other business and store. No cleaning or restocking takes place during the night so all of that is done while us shoppers are trying to fill our carts. I would love to pull the manager aside and explain that by doing the dirty work during non opening hours, the shoppers would be much happier and could move those blasted shopping carts around much easier.
The cool thing is that you can park on top of the building and take an elevator down to the entrance.

Below is a picture showing you that we eat pretty good and have great fruits and vegatables. You can even get free samples of wine at 8 in the morning! I never do that. (wink wink)



My true complaint starts when I need something that is foreign to Belgium but not so foreign to our family. Today I bought pancake syrup in the "American" section of the store. The picture below is not from my store but it shows you a few of the choices I have when I shop. The Swiss Miss is around 5€ which is around$7 and the cookie mix can be as high as 6€ which is $8.
Knowing how much those other items cost, can you guess how much the Golden Griddle set me back?
It was 9.20€ or $12!!!!!!!! You have to really crave pancakes to buy syrup at that price!
But the best part of my shopping experience today was the music playing while I shopped. You can hear it in the link in the post below. I will have to admit, I quietly sang along!

2 comments:

  1. And considering that it clearly says on the label that it is $2.49 in America, that is really highway robbery. Have you considered sugar and cinnamon on those pancakes? It is 12 degrees here and 8 inches of snow. BRRR. Makes Belgium look toasty! The BeeGees? I will have to go to that store again when we are visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just talking about this exact thing to a friend yesterday. She came to visit and couldn't believe the price of syrup.
    It's so nice shopping now. The workers move out of your way and smile. The isles are completely empty, so my kids can run all over the place with the cart. The food is amazing. The store is bright and cheerful; Oh yes, it's good to be home. I'm glad your experiences hasn't been as bad as mine.

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...