Thursday, January 27, 2011

Eggs for Breakfast

This morning I made eggs for breakfast. Please don't be too impressed. I don't always go to a lot of trouble in the morning but once or twice a week I do make something more than cereal, toast or fruit. If Bob is home the breakfast is even more exciting because he cooks. Egg in Basket or French Toast are his specialties. I stay more in the egg category so today we had hash browns and a fried egg. Doesn't that sound good? The hash browns were easy and made the house smell like good food which made Leah yell down from the upstairs, "Something smells good!" When I got ready to cook the eggs, I couldn't quite get the egg in the picture below to come out of the carton. It broke as I pulled it out making a mess. You can see in the picture below that the egg broke but look what else you can see on the egg...

Yes.
That is chicken poop and is probably why that part of the egg was stuck in the carton. Here in Belgium we have learned a few things about
eggs:
1. All eggs are brown.
2. White eggs can only be found at random times in random places at
random high prices.
3. No eggs are washed or cleaned before they are boxed.
4. You can buy eggs at the grocery or from the market.
5. At my favorite Sunday market there is a man who only sells
eggs. If you get there too late the eggs are gone. You have to bring your own container to take home your eggs. He sells eggs from all types of birds and in all sizes. His eggs are the dirtiest I have ever seen, covered in feathers and chicken poop. His eggs are also the freshest and tastiest.We usually wash our eggs after we buy them. I was a slacker and didn't wash this batch. What a mistake!

2 comments:

  1. Laurie AustinJanuary 29, 2011

    After two years here in Belgium I still shudder at the state of the eggs - dirty and unrefrigerated! However, the potatoes are scrubbed to perfection. I am happy to find your blog. Can you tell me if you ever found the graham crackers here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie - Graham crackers are available at the little gas station that sells American food on the Chaussee de Waterloo, just past the American Woman's Club and almost to Waterloo. They are VERY expensive, but you can also get Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch cereals there!($12 per box!!) There is a flat cookie sold here that tastes just like a graham cracker but thicker and smaller in size. It is by the regular cookies at Delhaize. I will check on the name. Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...