Sunday, June 21, 2015

Lisbon #9

It's 4am in Lisbon. I'm not sure why I'm awake... Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we had a beer right before going to sleep last night. I'll explain...At about 10pm we were watching the U.S. Open in our room. Bob has a "slingbox" and can actually turn on our tv at home and watch whatever US shows he wants from anywhere in the world on his iPad. He travels so much and this has been such a great thing for him. Hotels throughout the world usually have only two channels of TV in English. Anyway, while watching golf, we heard a knock at our door. It was the maid. She wanted to turn down our bed. I tried to explain to her that we didn't need the service. After lots of hand motions she said "ok" and left. About 2 minutes later she knocked again. This time she had 2 beers in her hand for us. I just stood there with a dazed look on my face as if to say "why?".  She just kept pushing the beers into my hand and speaking fast Portuguese.  I finally said "gratis?".  And then she looked confused but said "no via". Finally I just took the beers and thanked her. I tried to put "no via" into google translate but it wasn't a familiar phrase. So Bob and I decided to drink the beers. Either we had overpriced 12€ beers or a really nice treat. I guess we'll know for sure when we look at our bill at check out on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

tailgate memories

Having our twins at the same college was just perfect.  Bob and I were able to enjoy Leah and Jenn and their college journey together.  The...